Monday, September 6, 2010

From scratch


I've read it and heard it in so many places, but to watch my boy time & time again enjoy something so much as a home grown fruit or veggie, well, it just makes me giggle with delight! It started with our strawberries - he wouldn't touch them earlier this year, made a face at the sight of one. But the moment he saw me pick one from the vine and put it in my own mouth, he turned from no way to every day. Each morning those glorious last weeks of May, we would go outside & he would ask for "oash"- which vaguely translates to strawberry, of course. Now, as soon as he sees anything remotely close to a berry in the store or at home he exclaims, "shhhrabewy!"




Now that we're nearing autumn, there's a different crop. He's grown accustomed to picking tomatoes and cucumbers. While he's still not fond of raw tomatoes, he loves to hold them and tell me all about them. Cucumbers, on the other hand, are another of his delights. This afternoon we picked one and he immediately took it from my hands and walked for the next hour munching on it. Dinner is served.






No comments:

Post a Comment